As a veteran, you are not alone. The SW MN PIC is committed to helping veterans find the education and employment they need, and connecting them to resources for every aspect of life.

Under the “Skills Identification/Development” and “Get a Job”pages on this site, we have even more resources — but these are targeted specifically at veterans.

Under the “Assistance” page, we have non-job related resources for veterans.


Veterans have a specialized career contact at our Workforce Centers. Please contact him for specific employment program services:
Ron Kellen, Veterans Employment Representative
Phone: 507-376-3116 OR 888-234-3708

Veterans services cannot place you at a job, but they will equip you for the workforce.


  • Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs is a thorough resource for Minnesota veterans preparing for the workforce. It is built around a Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) format that allows users to enter questions or search topics based on their specific needs. Users are also able to create personalized accounts that will allow them to track topics and resources of interest. For example, if the user has questions about education benefits for Veterans, they can choose to be alerted anytime there is an update or a change related to that topic. Users also have the ability to chat online with staff and provide immediate feedback to help improve the site’s usability.
  • Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is a series of workshops that can help veterans make informed choices about education and employment and make your transition back into work and home life smoother, more predictable, and more productive.
  • Tribal Veteran Service Officers (TVSO)  are advocates for the Native American population of Veterans and their dependents, offering services unique to their cultural needs and geographical locations They prepare and monitor both Federal and State Veteran benefit claims, including emergency financial assistance, on-the-job training, high education support, financial counseling, etc.
Luke Johnson, Southern Minnesota Tribal Veterans Service Officer
Redwood County Government Center
403 S. Mill, PO Box 130
Redwood Falls, MN 56283
  • Minnesota Service C.O.R.E.  is a case management based program that works with the Department of Veteran Affairs(MDVA) and County Veteran Service Officers(CVSO) to provide additional resources and follow-up for veterans and families facing complex financial and care issues. C.O.R.E. utilizes Lutheran Social Services to offer a wide range of expertise in addressing the significant therapy needs of military families, including spouses and parents who have been deployed in active duty combat and are now trying to reintegrate into civilian life, in order to promote family and social re-integration and address critical mental health needs. To access this program, please contact your county’s Veteran Affairs Department.
  • Veterans Crisis Line connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring Department of Veterans Affairs responders. The professionals at the Veterans Crisis Line are specially trained and experienced in helping Veterans of all ages and circumstances. Many of the responders are Veterans themselves and understand what Veterans and their families and friends have been through and the challenges Veterans of all ages and service eras face. Chat online with a representative, or call 1-800-273-8255 and press 1.
  • The Veterans Linkage Line (LinkVet) is a toll free, one stop customer service line for all Minnesota veterans and their families. Call 1-888-LinkVet (546-5838), International +1 (651) 556-0596 and TTY at (800) 627-3529.
  • The State Soldier’s Assistance Program provides assistance to veterans who are unable to work as a result of temporary disability. It provides cash assistance in the form of shelter payments (rent and mortgage), utilities, and dental and optical needs for veterans and their dependents who meet strict income and asset guidelines. Special Needs Grants are also available and are reviewed and approved on a case by case basis.

Career Development



  • My Military Education is run by the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs. It has thorough information on almost any aspect of education for veterans and their families/dependents.
  • has the latest updates on the new GI Bill, and has a benefits calculator.


Job Hunting

  • GI Jobs Top Ranked Military Friendly Employers is a great site that can help you find the best match for your skills and background.
  • J.O.F.D.V. offers job opportunities for disabled veterans
  • Veterans Job Bank provides a central resource that allows veterans to access jobs available specifically for them.
  • Twitter Job Search helps veterans tap into the massive social media resource by allowing you to search tweets for job posts.
  • Feds Hire Vets teaches you how to use your status as a veteran and apply for a federal job. The federal government is the country’s #1 employer of veterans.



There are actually some no-risk financial incentives for employers to hire veterans. While you will ultimately be hired on your abilities, it doesn’t hurt to be aware of the benefits you could bring with you as a veteran in the workforce.

Tax Breaks

The WOTC tax credit allows employers to reduce their federal tax liability by up to $9,000 per new hire by hiring from certain categories of traditionally hard-to-place job seekers, such veterans. Any size for-profit employer may apply, there is no limit to the number of new hires or claims, and temporary, seasonal, part-time, and full-time work qualifies.

For more information call 888-234-5521, e-mail, or visit the WOTC web page.

Federal Bonding

The Minnesota Federal Bonding Service provides insurance guaranteeing honesty or credibility for certain categories of traditionally hard-to-place job seekers, such as dishonorably discharged veterans.

There are no forms to fill our or sign. The bond is good as soon as the Minnesota Federal Bonding coordinator certifies the bond.

For more information call 800-345-2537 or visit Minnesota’s bonding web page.